** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge

Ok guys, I've had a little idea for a new competition to run this year and having had a couple of thumbs up from a few of the mods I will go ahead with it. Basically, I want to reward the first punter that lands a 100/1 winner in 2010 with a free bet out of my own pocket of £20.10. I know that isn't an amount that is gonna have people scrambling into their formbook libraries, furiously flipping the pages to steal the loot, but the intention was to add a bit of light hearted competition into the forum in the hope people will participate for the kudos, as they do in BBOTD. I will outline the rules of the competition in a minute but there is no need to post selections in this thread pre-race each day, as long as a selection is posted within the At The Races - Horse Racing Forum Section of the site in either the meeting, Best Bet of the Day or personal threads, that will suffice, however, only selections that are posted with reasoning can count for entry purposes - we don't want people desperately putting up horse A because 'it has good outsider claims' and 'will win etc' - we need some meat to go on the bones - but nothing more extravagant that that everyone provides in BBOTD and stuff anyway. Like with BBOTD I think that a 10 minute rule should be introduced too - only bets posted 10 minutes or more before the off can count. I think its necessary that prices can be taken as outsiders are volatile and 100/1 can shorten into 80/1 with only small amounts down, so it will be possible to take a price, which has to be verifiable on Oddschecker at the time a tip is posted. If you post a selection at 50/1 but actually took 100/1 in the morning, you only get 50/1 for the competition, from the time you posted. BOG is allowed though. The idea for the competition came from seeing StuSimmy's Bold Rose win at 50/1 the other day. It isn't the first time a PL member has tipped up a big priced winner and the aim of this competition is to recognise those big priced winners. It won't be like BBOTD where a profit and loss column is worked out, you can fire as many bullets at the target as you like and any big priced winners over 25/1 will go onto a leaderboard that I will update. Its bloody hard to pick a 100/1 shot and get it to run well, so that is why I set the bar at that price level. The first person to bag a 100/1 winner (or 100.0 winner on the exchanges) (they can advise it EW in the forum but it still counts as a win bet for this competition) wins the free bet , and can bet it however they choose, win or each-way. I will place the bets via one of my accounts and then bank transfer any winnings onto them. If we get to the end of the calendar year and no-one has nailed a 100/1 winner then whoever is highest on the roll of honour will win the free-bet. In the event of a tie the punters in contention and myself will agree on a tiebreaker card from which they both pick a winner from each of the races on that card. The winner is the punter that accumulates the most points from backing all of their runners to mythical 1 pt win stakes. The competition is open to everyone, newbie and current members, and like I say, you don't have to post anything in here pre-race, anyone that provides reasoning, posts within 10 mins of the off and DOESNT EDIT their post, has a valid entry. However, it would help me that if someone wants to participate that they post a message in here notifying they landed a big priced winner in one of the forum threads, as although I am on here most days and will try and do that myself, I may miss the odd one or two. Ante-post bets wil not count - the reasoning behind these is often sketchy and I think if they are allowed a punter could post up all the names under the sun at big prices to try get one up - which isnt what the comp is about, its designed to reward guys for posting just as they do normally. So just to try summarise the rules a bit more concisely: 1. Any bet posted within the ATR - Horse Racing Forum counts. Bets in DHRC or the systems section don't count as the competition aims to attract interest to ATR. 2. Bets posted within 10 mins of the off will not count. 3. Only selections with proper reasoning will count. Obviously its hard to define 'proper' but "it will win because it is good" and "lively outsider" etc are not valid reasons in my opinion. Still, only has to be a sentence or too though. 4. You can take a price, but it is the price available on oddschecker with the bookie at the time you posted. BOG is allowed though. EDIT: Betfair prices CAN be taken - if need be a screen shot may be requested to prove a price was available (I can advise how to do this if need be). If backing through Betfair, you get the price you took (minus any reduction factors) but dont get the benefit of betfair SP as well. in order for a bet to count at Betfair SP, Betfair SP must be specified in the write up. 5. No ante-post bets count. Selections can be in the win market, w/o the fav markets or TBP markets, but no forecasts will count. 6. Strictly no editing of posts. 7. Bets can be placed in any race listed in the Racing Post/on the RP site. 8. Theres no need to post a selection pre-race in here, as long as selections meet the above rules and are posted in the main ATR forum then they count 9. Any winner of 25/1 or above goes onto a leaderboard. The first first to bag a 100/1 winner wins the free bet, if at the end of the year no one manages 100/1 the highest positioned punter on the leaderboard takes the prize. 9. The judges (me!) decision is final 10. As in BBOTD rule 4 deductions will be applied to fixed odds prices although I will be willing to ignore 10p and 5p rule 4s like some of the big firms do anyway. On betfair, if the reduction factor is less than 10 % then similarly I'll ignore it. I hope those rules seem fair and that I have explained things clearly. Hopefully this isn't a wacky idea that worked in my head but which others won't find interesting. I think it will be nice to see a leaderboard of big priced winners though - I've seen it on other sites boasting about 10/1 winners and stuff and our guys can make a mockery of those prices. Competition open! Happy punting Wayne

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge :ok Nice one Fintron. Will have a few attempts at this! Already had a 100/1 winner in the last month so i'll be a lucky bunny if i manage it again. (If your wondering why i didn't post anything before my 100/1 win bet, its because it was completely luck lol. I put a bet on Sweet Child O'mine at 100/1 because I liked the song. Im not a massive horse punter so i get drawn to the likes of Stanley Goodspeed and Fernando Torres :); I am however, getting more into horse betting so I will try to give good reasoning behind my bets)

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge

This is a good ideal Fintron & something i support being a punter who likes to find a big price I have a feeling tedthewolf may beat us all to it, he seems to find plenty of these ! :ok
My ante-post money is on Ted too. Good luck all

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Nice one Fin.........:ok I had two 25/1 winners in BBotD in 2009 (both EW)............so I might give Ted a run for his money............:lol If i see any big price ones that I think have a squeak I'll post 'em up in here if i remember............if others do the same it'll keep the thread going !

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Nice idea fin, I was delighted to have a 50/1 winner the other day and its a privilege to see your idea came from that. Hopefully I can give a good crack at this as well. Saying that I may never post up a 100/1 shot, Grand National may be a likely option though.

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge if it had won then id class it as a 74/1 winner Mark (although only bookies prices are counted -makes it easier to know prices were available at the time). I say this because an eacy way bet is two bets, e.g. A 100/1 winner backed ew at 1/4 odds pays 75/1 to a pound stake, but id class that as a winner for this competition, so you bets on the second, third and fourth horses are analagous to the place component on a ew bet.

Great idea Fin, One question, What about those who back more than one horse in a race? Thought I might have a 74/1 winner today with Mister McGoldrick. But I also backed four others in the race. So adding the prices up may give a fairer view of price.

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge thing is though ram, someone might post loads of outsiders up each day but it takes a bit of skill to pick a 25/1+ winner (lower limit for the winner to get on the leaderboard) so chances are many would lose. I was hoping that people wouldnt stake silly outsider bets just for the sake of it and would stick to those they would back normally, this is why i thought it would be best not to ask for punters to duplicate bets in here as well.

Great idea this' date=' however wouldnt it be better to have a limit on how many you can select a day though cos you might get some idiot posting up loads of bets throughout the day.[/quote']

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge

This is a good ideal Fintron & something i support being a punter who likes to find a big price I have a feeling tedthewolf may beat us all to it, he seems to find plenty of these ! :ok
My ante-post money is on Ted too. Good luck all
Also Frisky if he chooses to take part :lol Will have a go from time to time also Nice Idea Fin :ok

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Hope Frisky takes part he's the man for the job:ok ...and Mileni is also one to watch out for lads.;) I've always wanted to see a 100/1 shot winner in the daily threads since the day i joined. They are hard to find to put up let alone place or win but at least we can use early prices for a slight edge. The likes of Cheltenham in march, Grand National, lincon and big handicaps etc might be our best chance. Think its great thread that Fin has started and it shows how ATR has changed so much in the three years i've been here imo when i first joined and started posting my long shots i felt at the very start it was frowned upon a little bit well thats how i felt so maybe if i've contributed anything to ATR it has been to embrace the outsiders more commonly known as donkeys . I love them:nana:lol. Now there isn't a day goes by without big priced horses posted and by all members. It great to see and i'm sure there will be loads of big priced winners and placers here as well as that illusive big one at some stage. Best of Luck All:ok

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge guys, just a word of caution here, its not a case of looking for a 100/1 winner every day, we dont want to see that i feel, but plenty of us put up a big one every so often & this is the idea behind the thread, not to put up 5 horses a day priced 100/1 !! :ok

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge id just like to second that. The idea wasnt to encourage anyone to breakaway from their usual methods to try get people specifically gunning for the prize, but was kind of a just a mini reward for the first 100/1 winner, with everyone carrying on picking bets as they normally do. I do think it will be nice to keep a list of all the big winners on pl anyway though - anyone can pick a winning fav but its hard to pick a biggy and get it to run well.

guys' date=' just a word of caution here, its not a case of looking for a 100/1 winner every day, we dont want to see that i feel, but plenty of us put up a big one every so often & this is the idea behind the thread, not to put up 5 horses a day priced 100/1 !! :ok[/quote']

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge nice one Fin, keeping a record is an excellent idea. We used to have a scroller on PL fro big price winners, i managed a 66/1 winner on there plus a 150/1 Darts winner some years ago. Master Minded ante post at 85.0 2 years ago was the closest i have come to a 100/1 winner on the horses.

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Great bit of fun this. I love a big price. I've been lucky enough to find a few 3-figure winners on the exchanges but it's very hard to get a 100/1 shot home at fixed odds, obviously. Although I did go close last year when I tipped EW placed at 100/1 (3rd Eastern Hills) and 80/1 (2nd Horner Woods, took 280 on Betfair :@). Will post any I back this year. Nice one Fin. :ok

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge whats the biggest priced winner so far? Ive had a 12/1 winner today and had reve de nuit the other day at 11/1 (although was on exchanges). Stevet had that too and prob beat my price as he backed with a firm. Although the orig plan was to only note 25/1+ winners perhaps that is quite high and i should loweer it? 10/1 threshold?

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Good idea for a bit of fun Wayne but to be honest cant say I have ever looked for a 100/1 winner but you never know I had a good bet on a 40/1 debutant which won earlier in the year. Good Luck to one and all with this comp and if anyone finds one can they let me know before it runs! :lol

Re: The Punters Lounge 100/1 Challenge Your thread its up to you fin. I think starting a leader board at 25's is fine after all its a 100/1 shot we are after. Think 10's is to low maybe 20's if you think it needs lowered. It may take a bit of time and not a lot of meetings at the mo but the big priced winners and placers will come. Just my thoughts :ok